A group of Lawyers has written to the Teachers Service Commission, TSC, to seek answers on the terms of engagement for the Intern teachers. The Lawyers from Mugeria, Lempaa & Kariuki Advocates want the Commission to explain how it arrived at the Sh10,000 and Sh15,000 that it intends to pay the Primary and Secondary Schools Inters; respectively.
“This letter is in relation to the contracts employing teachers in the Republic of Kenya. Specifically, we are aware that you are paying primary school teachers Kshs. 10,000 and high school teachers Kshs. 15,000,” the Lawyers wrote in a letters dated December 2, 2019 and addressed to the TSC boss Dr Nancy Macharia.
“Specifically, we would like your commission to provide to us the following information: The rationale that was used to arrive at Kshs. 10,000 and Kshs. 15,000 for primary and high school teachers respectively as remuneration,” the Lawyers added.
- All TSC services online portals and how to log in
- TSC TPAD data upload deadline
- Complete guide to the new TSC TPAD portal
- TSC: Full details on the newly established grades for teachers
- TSC: Designation codes for all teacher job groups
- TSC Grades and qualifications/ requirements for various administrative positions in schools
- TSC: Details on the current all 36 Teacher job groups/ grades
- TSC: Requirements, appointment and responsibilities of Principals
- All what you need to know and carry to a TSC teacher recruitment interview
- TSC: Requirements, responsibilities and appointment of Deputy Principals
The teachers’ employer is currently recruiting a total of 10,300 intern teachers who are expected to report to schools in January, 2020. The exercise was marred by low turnouts in some recruiting centres as interns stayed away citing low pay and ‘unfair’ contractual terms from TSC.
According to TSC, the intern teachers are to be employed for a contract period of one year. The Commission is not clear on whether it will then employ them on Permanent and Pensionable terms as it happened to the contracted interns in 2010.
But now, the Lawyers wants the Commission to explain Whether in arriving at the above stated amounts it consulted the Salaries and Remuneration Commission. The Lawyers wonder ‘why teachers who are as qualified as permanently employed teachers are subjected to such low salaries,’ adding that they may take legal redress on behalf of the interns.
More reading on TSC matters;
- New, latest TSC Teachers recruitment guidelines
- TSC: Wealth declaration guide for teachers, staff
- A TSC teacher’s payslip details and how to get yours online
- TSC posting, employment, letters for newly recruited teachers
- TSC adds another new teacher registration, employment requirement; read the details
- All TSC online services: the TSC website, online services and how to easily access them
- New list of TSC County Directors
- Updated TSC recruitment guidelines for teachers
- TSC: Process of handing-taking over by new school heads and other administrators
- New academic and professional requirements for registration of teachers
- How to check the status of TSC number application online
- Get the latest TSC news on these official Social Media links (Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Telegram and online)
- How to apply online for the vacant administrative positions at the Teachers Service Commission-tsc
- TSC: Most marketable subject combinations
- TSC: Revised, new, service charter
- TSC: Download all the TSC forms, circulars, regulations and Memos here
- TSC: How to easily get the retirement, pension, benefits
- TSC: Full process of interdicting, disciplining and dismissing teachers
- New, updated, list of offences that can lead to a teacher’s removal from the TSC register
- TSC: All teachers’ leaves explained
- TSC: List of all allowances paid to teachers and to get them
- Latest Career Progression Guidelines, CPG, for teachers
- TSC: Answers to all the Frequently asked questions by teachers
- TSC: A list of all the TSC contacts
- TSC: How a teacher should claim the medical expenses costs from TSC
- TSC: How to best apply for a teacher transfer
- How to easily apply for a TSC number
- Applying for a TSC number? This is all you need to know.
- All what you are required to have in order to apply for a TSC number