Following the adoption of the Competency Based Curriculum into the Kenyan Education System, the Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) developed a Competency Based Assessment Framework (CBAF) for Basic Education guided by the Basic Education Curriculum Framework (BECF) and the Curriculum Designs for Early Years of Education (EYE).
In this regard, KNEC has developed assessments tools to be used by schools to assess competency levels among Grade 3 learners who are currently undertaking the Competency Based Curriculum (CBC)
The instructions herein are therefore to guide in identification and enrollment of all learners in Grade 3 in all schools for the administration of KEYA. It is therefore important that all those concerned with enrollment read and understand the contents of this communication before undertaking the enrollment exercise
PROCEDURE FOR IDENTIFICATION/ENROLLMENT OF GRADE 3 LEARNERS
Identification/enrollment of learners for the KEYA will be done ON-LINE and is
scheduled to take place between 1 July and 30 August, 2019. All head-teachers are urged to ensure that all Grade 3 learners in their schools are identified and enrolled within the stipulated period.
KNEC has developed a KEYA portal for use in enrolling Grade 3 learners. The portal is using data from National Education Management Information System (NEMIS) to enable head-teachers identify their learners.
To access the KEYA Portal, head-teachers are expected to do the following:
Visit the KNEC website and click on the link called ‘KEYA portal. – which will direct you to http://cba.knec.ac.ke
Schools which already have a KNEC School Code will log into the KEYA portal using the KNEC School Code as the Username and the Password which they use during KCPE Examination Registration
For Schools that do not have a KNEC School Code, the head-teacher will liaise with their respective Curriculum Support Officer (CSO) who will contact the relevant Sub County Director of Education (SCDE) for coding of the School and onward submission of the School Code details to KNEC to facilitate it’s activation.
Upon successfully logging onto school account, the head-teacher shall be expected to click on the Menu provided on the extreme left of the portal and take the following steps:
Step 1: Click on the KEYA E-readiness questionnaire and provide information required on the school’s capacity to administer KEYA;
Step 2: Click ‘Identify/Enroll Learners’ to confirm whether all Grade 3 learners are captured in the KEYA portal provided through NEMIS. By clicking on the button Enroll’ which is on the extreme right on the screen, you will have enrolled the learner. If you wish to edit details on the learner who is already enrolled, click on the ‘Edit’ button;
Step 3: Click the button “Add Learner’ to enroll a new Grade III learner who may be missing from the list of learners in your school from the data provided. You will be provided with an option to search details of a learner from the NFMIS database. If you choose NO, the portal will then allow you to register the learner.
NB: The option of ‘SNE Pathway’ is for learners who have severe disab lities and do not follow the regular Pathway.
The following are the details of the learner to be captured online:
1). Name of the learner: The names used for KEYA enrollment shall be a replica of the
official names of the learner as they appear in the Birth Certificate. The head teacher shall use the correct combination and order of names as they appear on the learner’s Birth Certificate. This must be done in consultation with the parent/guardian of the learner; The name of the learner should not be initialized, it must be written in full
2). Gender of the learner: The gender of the learner shall be indicated as “M” for male or “F” for female.
3). Birth Certificate Number: The Birth Certificate Number, which is the Entry Number (NOT the Serial Number), shall be indicated.
4). Date of birth of the learner: The date of birth of the learner shall be correctly indicated as it appears in the birth certificate.
5). Citizenship of the learner: The status of citizenship of the learner shall be indicated either as Citizen or a Non-citizen.
6). Special Needs and Disability: For learners with Special Needs and disabilities, the nature of disability shall be indicated and the Pathway.
The head-teachers can continually amend enrollment details of their learners during the enrolment period before 30 August, 2019 as need arises.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF STAKEHOLDERS FOR THE KEYA ENROLLMENT
The following are the responsibilities of key stakeholders in ensuring effective and accurate enrollment of Grade 3 learners:
1). Sub County Directors of Education (SCDEs);
The SCDEs are responsible for the successful enrolment of all Grade 3 learners in their Sub Counties. They are expected to ensure that:-
i). All schools in the Sub County are enrolled in the KNEC KEYA portal;
ii). All schools without KNEC codes are issued with codes for purposes of enrollment of learners;
iii). Once a school has been coded, the Sub county Director of Education is expected to submit the information to KNEC immediately for activation of the school code;
iv). Head teachers within their administrative zones identify their learners, edit the details where errors are noted and enroll learners who are not captured in the KEYA data within the stipulated period:
v). Assistance/intervention is provided for schools that may experience challenges in accessing KEYA portal;
vi). Feedback on the infrastructure required for KEYA (e-Readiness) in schools is submitted to KNEC by 15 July 2019; Head-teachers
2). The Head Teachers.
The head of the institution is directly responsible for enrollment of learners in their schools and are expected to ensure that:
i). All eligible learners in Grade 3 are identified in the KEYA database and those missing are enrolled online;
ii). Parents/Guardians of the learners are involved in the enrolment process to ensure that their bio data details are correctly captured in the KEYA database;
iii). learners with Special Needs and Disabilities are accurately identified and their information correctly captured during enrollment under the following categories:
a). Hearing Impairment;
b). Totally Blind:
c). Low Vision:
d). Deaf Blind;
e). Cerebral Palsy;
g). Gifted and Talented;
h). Intellectual Disability,
i). Physical Disability:
j). Speech and Language Disorders;
k). Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties.
iv). Learners with Special Needs following the Regular Pathway and those following SNE pathway are identified and correctly enrolled;
v). Cases of transfer of learners from one school to another are brought to the attention of the Sub County Director of Education and KNEC.
OTHER INFORMATION ON THE KEYA
1). Assessment Schedule for the KEYA;
The schedule for the KEYA shall be provided on the KNEC website: http://www.knec.ac.ke for schools to download for planning purposes.
2). Assessment Areas;
The following assessment areas shall be covered under the two Pathways:
a). Regular Pathway: Having English Activities; Mathematics Activities;
Integrated Learning Areas: (Kiswahili Activities/KSL, Environmental Activities, Movement and Creative activities, Religious activities, Hygiene and Nutrition Activities).
Adapted assessment tools will be provided for learners with visual impairment, hearing impairment and physical Disability.
b). Stage-Based / SNE Pathway: In this category, Learners will be assessed in the following learning areas:
i). Communication, social and Pre-Literacy Skills:
ii). Activities of Daily Living (ADL) and Religious Education;
iii). Integrated Learning Areas (Orientation and Mobility Skills, Pre- Numeracy skills and Sensory- Motor and Creative activities).
- All TSC services online portals and how to log in
- TSC TPAD data upload deadline
- Complete guide to the new cTSC TPAD portal
- TSC: Full details on the newly established grades for teachers
- TSC: Designation codes for all teacher job groups
- TSC Grades and qualifications/ requirements for various administrative positions in schools
- TSC: Details on the current all 36 Teacher job groups/ grades
- TSC: Requirements, appointment and responsibilities of Principals
- All what you need to know and carry to a TSC teacher recruitment interview
- TSC: Requirements, responsibilities and appointment of Deputy Principals
- TSC: Full payment rates for teachers, officials, attending CBC training
- New, latest TSC Teachers recruitment guidelines
- TSC: Wealth declaration guide for teachers, staff
- A TSC teacher’s payslip details and how to get yours online
- TSC posting, employment, letters for newly recruited teachers
- TSC adds another new teacher registration, employment requirement; read the details
- All TSC online services: the TSC website, online services and how to easily access them
- New list of TSC County Directors
- Updated TSC recruitment guidelines for teachers
- TSC: Process of handing-taking over by new school heads and other administrators
- New academic and professional requirements for registration of teachers
- How to check the status of TSC number application online
- Get the latest TSC news on these official Social Media links (Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Telegram and online)
- How to apply online for the vacant administrative positions at the Teachers Service Commission-tsc
- TSC: Most marketable subject combinations
- TSC: Revised, new, service charter
- TSC: Download all the TSC forms, circulars, regulations and Memos here
- TSC: How to easily get the retirement, pension, benefits
- TSC: Full process of interdicting, disciplining and dismissing teachers
- New, updated, list of offences that can lead to a teacher’s removal from the TSC register
- TSC: All teachers’ leaves explained
- TSC: List of all allowances paid to teachers and to get them
- Latest Career Progression Guidelines, CPG, for teachers
- TSC: Answers to all the Frequently asked questions by teachers
- TSC: A list of all the TSC contacts
- TSC: How a teacher should claim the medical expenses costs from TSC
- TSC: How to best apply for a teacher transfer
- How to easily apply for a TSC number
- Applying for a TSC number? This is all you need to know.
- All what you are required to have in order to apply for a TSC number