The Employment and Labour Relations Court at Nairobi yesterday gave a ruling on a case petitioned by the Teachers Service Commission, TSC, against the planned strike by the Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT). Here are the highlights from the Court’s directives:
- The Court suspended the impending strike and ordered teachers to resume teaching; until the case is heard and determined.
- KNUT and TSC ordered back to the negotiation table; The Court directed that both KNUT and TSC attend the Conciliation proceedings before the Labour Ministry’s appointed conciliation committee today (3rd January 2019) at 9.00am.
- TSC to review the the transfers of the 3,094 teachers transferred in December, 2018. This review to be done on individual basis by 15th February, 2019 and TSC shall not victimize, harass or intimidate any teacher who requests for the review of his/ her transfer.
- TSC shall not transfer KNUT’s branch officials beyond their areas of jurisdiction; where they have been elected to serve, until the case is heard and determined.
- The TSC to suspend the enactment of the Career Progression Guidelines.
- KNUT and TSC to engage on on how to best implement the Teacher Professional Development Programmes.
- The case is set for mentioning on the 17th of January, 2019 at 9.00am