The Kenya National Examination Council, KNEC, has cancelled results for 3,427 candidates who were involved in exam malpractices during the 2018 Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE). This was announced today by the Council’s chair, Prof George Magoha.
But, it was a reprieve for another 1,275 KCSE candidates from nine examination centers who had been suspected of exam malpractice but who have since been cleared by KNEC. While addressing the media at the Exams Council offices’ on Denis Pritt Road, Nairobi, the chairman stated that the council found glaring evidence to warrant the cancellation of the results.
Prof Magoha stated that the council made the painful but necessary decision to cancel results of the affected candidates. He further advised the affected candidates to resit for the examinations this year, noting that they should register before the period elapses.
“In order to tamper justice with mercy, the council decided that these candidates should be encouraged to register for these year’s exams before close of registration on February 15,” said Prof Magoha.
Magoha praised centre managers who ensured there were no cases of malpractices in their areas of jurisdiction. He said the council will not relent on its mission to fight examination cheating cartels; who had compromised the integrity of the National examinations.
The tough talking KNEC chair castigated contracted professionals (Centre managers, supervisors and invigilators), who he blames for the shortfalls that befell students whose results have been cancelled.
“These malpractices took place due to negligence by omission or commission, not of the children, but adults like us in the form of center managers, supervisors, invigilators and personnel on the ground,” Magoha said. He absolved the kids from any wrong doing, whom he says are victims of circumstance.
“Let me assure the country that it is very shameful there are still a sizeable number of people who are in self denial. I want to state categorically, I am loyal to the children. I cannot sit on a council that treats any child different from the other,” he added
Among counties that were adversely reported to have engaged in exam malpractice are; West Pokot, Kericho, Machakos, Kisii, Narok, Elgeyo Marakwet, Bungoma, Kisumu, Isiolo, Turkana, Mandera, Garissa and Mandera.
Professor Magoha explained that during investigation the council applied international best practices in the identification of collusion by scrutinizing patterns of similar responses from candidates.F
The council found out glaring collusion among affected candidates including identical errors in calculation, correct responses after incorrect working, identical choice of words, similar correction by a group of candidates.
KNEC chairman further revealed that candidates had similar values to those of their teachers in practical exams, a group of candidates had identical readings in practical exams and others copied values directly from textbooks.
It has been a long wait for students whose results were withheld as others got theirs on 21st December, 2018.
The KNEC window is now open and schools can be able to register candidates for this year’s national examinations, to beat the February 15th deadline. Schools can register the candidates via KNEC’s portal at http://www.knec-portal.ac.ke