The Kenya National Examinations Council, KNEC, has dispatched appointment letters to various contracted professionals who will be in charge of this year’s Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education, KCSE, and Kenya Certificate of Primary Education, KCPE, examinations. The appointment letters dated 17th September, 2018, spell out the terms of engagement and duties to be performed by the various contracted professionals during the administration of this year’s national tests.
In the letters written to principals through the Teachers Service Commission Sub County Directors, the school heads will receive a daily fare reimbursement of KShs. 500 for 23 days which converts to a total of KShs. 11,500; for the whole period.
“The Kenya National Examinations Council has appointed you the Centre Manager to oversee administration of the 2018 National Examinations at your examination centre from 5th to 28th November, 2018. You will be reimbursed travel expenses a rate of KShs. 500 per day inclusive of the rehearsal day'” reads the letter by Dr. Mercy G. Karogo, The Acting KNEC Chief Executive Officer.The principals are expected to append their signatures on the letters to confirm acceptance to abide to the stipulated terms and rules.
Among the key responsibilities of the principals, as outlined in the letters, are:
- Ensuring that rehearsal is undertaken prior to the examination.
- Maintaining a conducive environment for the conduct of examinations.
- Ensuring that all other unauthorized persons are restricted and kept away from the examination area during the examination period.
- Being at the distribution centre (Container) at the time prescribed by the council to collect the examination materials.
- Witnessing the opening of examination containers at the distribution centre every day of the examination.Taking overall responsibility for management of the examinations at the examination centre and ensuring that all candidates strictly adhere to the examination rules.
“As a centre manager, you are responsible to the TSC Sub County Director. The Council has delegated this duty to you and expects you to conduct the examination according to KNEC regulations,” adds Karogo. The principals will now have to keep an hawk’s eye to ensure the examinations end smoothly in their centres and will not have room for errors; including examination malpractices.
On the other hand, Supervisors shall receive a daily travel expense reimbursement of KShs. 630 for the 23 days that they shall be on duty. This translates to a total pay of about KShs. 14,490. The Supervisors shall be expected to report to the Examination Centres by 6.30am in the morning on every day of the examination to receive the examination materials from the Centre Managers in the presence of the security officers.
In this year’s examination, a total of 1,060,703 candidates will sit for the KCPE examinations; 531,548 boys and 529,155 girls across the 27,161 examination centres countrywide. Another, 664,585 candidates will sit for the KCSE examinations in 10,077 examination centres. 341,089 are boys while girls are 323,498.
Surprisingly, the Kenya National Examination Council has failed to allocate funds to other schools’ officers who shall be on duty, to provide support, during the examination period. The Deputy Principals who have just been mentioned as Deputy Centre Managers, in the KNEC’s examination regulations documents, will walk home empty handed. Also going home without any fare reimbursement are the Subject teachers and Laboratory Technicians/ Assistants who will be conducting the practical examinations when required as per the KNEC examination time table.
A total of 70,000 police officers will be deployed to provide security during this year’s examinations period.
NEW/ POPULAR TSC DOWNLOADS: DOCUMENTS & FORMS
- CAREER PROGRESSION GUIDELINES: CAREER PROGRESSION GUIDELINES
- CIRCULAR ON CAREER PROGRESSION: CIRCULAR ON CAREER PROGRESSION
- EMPLOYMENT FORM: EMPLOYMENT FORM
- LEAVE FORM: LEAVE FORM
- PATERNITY LEAVE FORM: PATERNITY LEAVE FORM
- STUDY LEAVE FORM: STUDY LEAVE FORM
- GP 69 MEDICAL EXAMINATION FORM: GP 69 MEDICAL EXAMINATION FORM
- SICK LEAVE FORM: SICK LEAVE FORM
- SICK SHEET FORM: SICK SHEET FORM
- TSC- KUPPET CBA: TSC- KUPPET CBA
- TSC-KNUT CBA: TSC-KNUT CBA
- PROMOTION FORM: PROMOTION FORM
- TRANSFER FORM:TSC TRANSFER APPLICATION FORM
- NEW! REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLYING FOR A TSC NUMBER
- Press release by Education CS, Dr. Amina Mohammed