Education CS, Amina Mohammed, with her Principal secretary, Dr. Belio Kipsang
Education CS, Amina Mohammed, with her Principal secretary, Dr. Belio Kipsang

The Ministry of Education has given elaborate plans to have displaced students sit for their National tests. Speaking at an invite to appear before the parliamentary Committee on education, today morning, the Cabinet Secretary, Amb. Amina Mohammed, said her ministry has identified 28 alternative centres where candidates affected by inter-community clashes in Narok and Nakuru Counties will sit their national examinations.

Amina told the National Assembly Education Committee that 42 primary schools and 6 secondary schools with a total of 1,719 candidates were affected; exuding confidence that the affected candidates will sit for the tests like others countrywide.

“In Narok South sub-County, 27 primary schools with a total enrolment of 13,476 including 1,087 candidates were affected while in Narok North sub-County, 15 schools with a total enrolment of 5,791 including 434 candidates were also affected,” said the CS.

The CS was acciompanied by the Principal Secretary in her ministry, Dr. Belio Kipsang. The Hon. Julius Melly chaired Education committee had raised concern over the Cabinet Secretary’s absence and failure to honour summons, early last week.

Amina said her ministry was working closely with the CS Matiang’i led Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government to enhance security and ensure normalcy returns to the affected areas.

CS Amina said, “relative calm has returned and schools have since re-opened. I can confirm that out of 1,847 students that were reported absent, only 110 are yet to resume. We will take all measures to ensure that the examination materials are delivered to the schools as planned and that the security of learners is guaranteed,” she assured.

Yesterday, the Education CS led a stake holders’ meeting at the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Studies, in Nairobi. The meeting came up with a raft of measures to curb exams cheating. Top on the list is the banning of: visitations to schools by parents, this term, and possession of mobile phones by students in school. The CS spelt out tough action that would be taken to parents whose children are found in possession of mobile phones in schools.

Related Content:

During today’s meeting with the Education parliamentary committee, the CS said that in Kibra, Nairobi County, a total of 15 schools with 258 students were affected by demolitions and alternative examination centres have been proposed.

The National examinations kick off at the end of this month.

You may also like:

Murder chargers against Jacque Maribe approved, remanded until Monday

 

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here