Giant mobile subscriber Safaricom has restructured its data plans as promised, earlier. In the new plans, subscribers will have to dig deeper into their pockets to purchase the seemingly expensive data plans. What will come as a shocker to many is the decision by Safaricom to scrap the daily 1 Gigga Byte bundles that have been trading at Kshs. 99.
The new plans launched by Safaricom are:
- Daily Bundles:
- 500MB + 500 SMS + Free WhatsApp @Kshs. 100
- 150MB + 150 SMS + Free WhatsApp @Kshs. 50
- 50MB + 50 SMS + Free WhatsApp @Kshs. 20
- 15MB + 15 SMS + @Kshs. 10
- 7MB + 7 SMS @Kshs. 5
2. Weekly Bundles:
- 3GB + Free WhatsApp @Kshs. 500
- 1GB + Free WhatsApp @Kshs. 20
- 350MB + Free WhatsApp @Kshs. 99
- 100MB + Kshs. 50
3. 30 Day Bundles:
- 25 GB + Free WhatsApp @Kshs. 3,000
- 15GB + Free WhatsApp @Kshs. 2,000
- 5GB + Free WhatsApp @Kshs. 1,000
- 2GB + Free WhatsApp @Kshs. 500
- 350MB + Kshs. 20
4. Platinum Plan
- 40GB + 1,500 Local Minutes + 100 international minutes + Unlimited SMS + Free WhatsApp @Kshs. 10,000.
5. 90 Day Bundles
- 30GB @Kshs. 9,000
- 16GB @Kshs. 6,000
- 6GB @Kshs. 3,000
6. Other Plans
- 2GB @Kshs. 50 valid for one hour
- 270MB @Kshs. 80 valid for 24 hours
- 500MB @Kshs. 140 valid for 48 hours
- 650MB @kshs. 180 valid for 48 hours
- 10.7GB @Kshs. 2,550 valid for 30 days.
Last month Safaricom Chief Executive Bob Collymore said the mobile operator was working to restructure its data pricing to better meet market needs.
Collymore, who was speaking during the company’s Annual General Meeting, said the new data structure should be in place in September adding that customers will have the option of monitoring their data usage.
On 8 May, 2018, Safaricom announced that its net profit for the year ended March 2018 grew to Sh55.3 billion, compared to Sh48.4 billion the year before on the back of M-Pesa and data revenues. This represents a 14.3 per cent growth of its full-year after-tax earnings.
M-Pesa revenue grew 14.2 per cent to sh62.9 billion while mobile data was up 24 per cent to sh36.4 billion in the period.
Having a captivating article that you want us to publish? Email our newsroom via firstname.lastname@example.org