Students are asked to apply for the Presidential secondary Schools Bursary (PSSB) Scheme. The Scheme was started in 2013/2014 Financial year to support orphans and vulnerable children in secondary schools. This scheme is a government’s contribution towards complying with the legal requirements as stipulated in the Children’s act 2001 section 7 (1), and as a complementary service to the Cash transfer- OVC programme.
The aim of this bursary scheme is to enhance Secondary School enrollment, attendance and completion by the Orphans and Vulnerable Children in Kenya. The PSSB is administered by the Children Department Head Quarter and in all constituencies across the country.
Eligible students are called to apply for this bursary to receive funding during this financial year, 2018/2019. Pick application forms from the various Children Departments’ office in all the Sub- Counties.
To be considered for this Bursary scheme:
- The student must be enrolled in a Government recognized public Boarding Secondary School
- The student must be under 18 years of age at thye entry point into the Bursary Scheme
- The student must be an Orphan/ Vulnerable child from a very poor House hold.
OTHER SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE FOR STUDENTS IN KENYA, FOR 2019:
- EQUITY BANK’S WINGS TO FLY SCHOLARSHIPS
- Application forms are available at Equity Bank Branches and Equity Agents immediately after the release of KCPE results. Students can pick up and submit completed application forms at an Equity Bank branch or Equity Agent in the District where they attended primary school.
- The program offers a comprehensive scholarship package that includes tuition, books, uniforms, transportation and pocket money for all four years of the student’s secondary education. Scholars also receive leadership development, career guidance and mentoring to ensure they achieve their full potential.
- Click on this link to download the application form and other instructions from the official Equity page: https://equitygroupfoundation.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Equity-WtF-Application-Form-2018.pdf
- KCB BANK SCHOLARSHIPS:
The Kenya Commercial Bank, KCB, offers scholarships to needy students yearly.
To qualify for a KCB Scholarship;
- The applicant must come from a needy home
- The applicant must attain the prescribed county cut off marks in the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) examination
- The applicant must have a calling latter to a national or county/ex-county secondary school
To access a KCB scholarship;
- Applicants collect application forms at any KCB Branch countrywide. The forms are available in the branches starting 1st December
- Applicants submit their applications in a county interview and selection process
- The interviews are conducted by KCB staff teams
- Applicants with disability are recruited through the county social development offices and integrated /special primary schools
- Home visits are conducted to verify the needy status of the shortlisted candidates
- Selected candidates are assigned to individual mentors and begin school
The KCB Scholarship package entails:
- Payment of school fees for the 4 years of secondary school
- Support for personal effects, learning materials and assistive devices for students with disability
- Quarterly one-on-one mentorship sessions with KCB branch staff and an annual holiday mentorship programme
- Internship and employment opportunities during and after the university studies
- Equitable distribution across the counties and gender balance is sought to ensure both boys and girls benefit from the programme.
To download the Scholarship form, visit the official KCB page at: https://ke.kcbgroup.com/images/downloads/KCB_Scholarship_Application_Form.pdf
3. CO-OPERATIVE BANK FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIPS
- The secondary scholarship program was initiated in the year 2007 and has grown from an initial sponsorship of 30 students per region, to 60 students per region and 5 students per county for the 47 counties in Kenya. A total of 655 students per year from 2014.
- Visit the CO-OPERATIVE BANK page for further details by clicking on: https://www.co-opbank.co.ke/info/co-op-bank-foundation
4. KTDA NATIONAL TEA SCHOLARSHIP
The kenya Tea Development Authority, KTDA, National Tea Scholarship is designed to help bright but financially challenged students in meeting their school fees.
Successful applicants will be required to keep good grades in High School.
The KTDA National Tea Scholarship is limited to students within the KTDA Factory catchment areas.
Download the KTDA Scholarship form from their official page at: https://ktdateas.com/pdfdocuments/KTDA%20Scholarship%20Form.pdf
5. KenGen FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIPS
- Since 2005, KenGen has invested Ksh 17.5 Million in the sponsorship for tomorrow’s leaders – 184 Secondary School pupils and 108 University graduates.
- The secondary school scholarships target each area’s top KCPE performing pupils, while the university ones target top KCSE performers. The university students also get an opportunity to work as interns in KenGen Head Office and stations. Once they complete, the top performing graduates receive a job offer from KenGen.
- Click on this link to visit the official KenGen page for more details: https://www.kengenfoundation.co.ke/pillar/launch-of-the-mentorship-program/
6. THE JOMO KENYATTA FOUNDATION, JKF, SCHOLARSHIPS.
Get more details on this Scholarship here: http://scholarship.jkf.co.ke/
7. FAMILY BANK FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIPS.
- The bank is currently sponsoring 280 students in secondary schools through the Family Bank Education Scholarship Fund. Family Bank also supports education initiatives with an aim to build and enhance capacity. The bank has contributed cash and other related donations towards the support of education to the Kenya Private Schools Association AGM, sponsorship for the 38th University of Nairobi Accounting Students Association Anniversary Dinner, support of the vulnerable Student’s Education and in addition donated trophies to various schools to award the best students and schools during prize giving events.
- They have also constructed two classrooms at Langas Primary School in Eldoret as well as boosting the Othaya Bursary kitty. Family Bank further sponsored Kiriri Women University with a financial donation.
- Download the 2019 scholarship application form at: https://thefamilygroupfoundation.org/scholarships/
8. Other Scholarships and bursaries that may be of help include:
- Constituency Development Fund, CDF, bursaries
- County Governments Bursary schemes
- Members of County Assemblies, MCAs, Bursaries
- Centum Scholarships
- Rhino Cement Foundation Scholarships
- Elimu Fund scholarships.
- Click on this link to apply for the Ministry of education’s, Kenya, Scholarships, now: Ministry of education scholarship form