The Teachers Service Commission, TSC, usually carries out annual mass recruitment for new teachers in July/ August yearly. The commission at the same time periodically recruits advertises for vacancies to replace the primary and secondary school teachers who leave TSC through natural attrition.
If you are looking forward to be recruited by TSC to teach in a primary school, then you need to familiarize yourself with the recruitment guidelines, interview marking scheme and score-sheets.
Here are the latest regulations from TSC on primary school teachers recruitment;
Following the advertisement for recruitment of teachers for Primary schools, the TSC County Director is required to conduct a selection exercise for candidates wishing to be employed and submit the County Merit list to the TSC Headquarters. The list should be ratified by the County Selection Panel.
The selection panel will be expected to exercise the highest degree of transparency and accountability, as stipulated in the Public Officers Ethics Act and TSC Code of Conduct and Ethics (2015). The TSC County Director is expected to induct members of the County Selection Panel on the relevant Sections of the Act before the commencement of the selection exercise.
All applicants must be registered teachers in line with Section 23(1) of the Teachers Service Commission Act Cap 212. Those without Registration Certificates must attach a printout showing verified status as evidence of application for registration. However, applicants who do not meet registration requirements will not be recruited.
Applicants who apply for confirmation of results from KNEC should give the address of the County Director where they submitted their application. It is their responsibility to ensure that the results are received within 14 days after the verification of certificates.
Applicants working in other Government Departments and who meet the requirements are eligible to apply.
Upon submission of application letters, all applicants shall be given a serial number. The selection date and venue should be communicated at the same time.
The Sub County Director MUST acknowledge all applications immediately upon receipt before the verification date and promptly advise those who do not meet the selection criteria (specifying the reasons).
During the selection applicants must present original and legible photocopies of the following documents; –
- National identification card
- National Council of Persons with Disability (NCPWD) Card (where applicable);
- KCPE certificate;
- KCSE certificates (include first attempt certificate if one repeated exams) or A Level Certificate (where applicable);
- PTE certificate;
- Primary, Secondary Schools leaving certificates and other relevant testimonials.
- All applicants should be given equal opportunity. However, applicants with special needs should be considered on affirmative action, provided that they meet the stipulated recruitment criteria.
- The selection date and venue must be displayed on notice boards at the County, Sub-County and Zonal offices at least seven (7) days before the selection exercise.
- The selection panel shall vet each applicant to establish if he/she meets the requirements of the TSC advertisement.
- Preference will be given to the applicants who have not been previously employed by the Commission.
- Latest Teachers’ Salaries after implementation of the CBA
- All TSC services online portals and how to log in
- TSC TPAD data upload deadline
- Complete guide to the new TSC TPAD portal
- TSC: Full details on the newly established grades for teachers
- TSC: Designation codes for all teacher job groups
- TSC Grades and qualifications/ requirements for various administrative positions in schools
- TSC: Details on the current all 36 Teacher job groups/ grades
- TSC: Requirements, appointment and responsibilities of Principals
- All what you need to know and carry to a TSC teacher recruitment interview
- TSC: Requirements, responsibilities and appointment of Deputy Principals
SUB COUNTY SELECTION PANEL
The Selection Panel shall comprise of the following members: –
- The Sub County Director – Chairperson
- TSC Sub County Human Resource Officer – Secretary
- All Zonal Curriculum Support Officers – Members
Documents presented by applicants shall be scrutinized thus;
- The TSC Sub County Director shall verify the TSC registration status of all applicants;
- The TSC Sub County shall present a list of all applicants to the Selection Panel;
- Applicants must appear in person before the Selection Panel on the set date.
AUTHENTICATION OF ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL DOCUMENTS
- Original academic and professional certificates shall be scrutinized to verify their authenticity.
- The TSC Sub County Director shall certify photocopies of the certificates before forwarding them to the TSC County Director.
- Any applicant(s) who present forged/fake academic, professional and other documents commit(s) an offence; shall be disqualified and can be deregistration in accordance with Code of Regulations for Teachers (CORT).
Applicants shall be awarded marks as per the score sheet (Appendix 1(a) and 1(b). Where applicants tie in score, the panel shall refer to the footnote on the panel score sheet for guidance.
DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED TO TSC COUNTY DIRECTOR
The Sub County Selection Panel will be required to submit the following to the TSC County Director: –
- Registration list of all applicants in the Sub County (Appendix II);
- Sub County merit list (Appendix III);
- Summary of complaints raised(if any) together with action taken;
- Minutes of the Sub-County Selection Panel duly signed by the Chairperson and Secretary.
COUNTY SELECTION PANEL
After submission of merit lists by the Sub County Directors, TSC County Director will constitute a selection panel comprising the following members;
- TSC County Director – Chairperson
- TSC Deputy County Director – Secretary
- County Human Resource Officer – Member
- All TSC Sub County Directors – Members
The TSC County Director will be required to convene a County Panel to ratify Sub County merit lists for onward submission to the TSC Headquarters within the stipulated timeline.
The selected applicants from the merit list shall correctly fill the TSC Application for Employment Form (APPT 1) without erasing or defacing it.
The merit list compiled during the selection process at the beginning of the financial year will be used in subsequent recruitment within the financial year. Selected applicants shall be informed through the short message service (SMS).
NB: It is the responsibility of the TSC County Director to ensure that the exercise is fair and transparent.
Any applicant who is dissatisfied with the exercise should submit to the TSC County Director a written complaint immediately and send a copy to the TSC Headquarters not later than seven (7) days after the selection exercise;
The TSC County Director should, within seven (7) days analyze and address all complaints raised after the selection process has been completed and thereafter submit a report to the Headquarters on the action taken.
Where the complaint is made against the TSC County Director, the TSC Headquarters shall investigate the allegations and take appropriate action.
DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED TO TSC HEADQUARTERS
The TSC County Director shall submit the following to the TSC Headquarters;
- County Selection Panel minutes duly signed by the Chairperson and
- County merit list (Appendix IV).
- List of all selected applicants drawn from the current merit list (Appendix V)
- List of all the applicants who did not appear in the merit list (Appendix VI) with names of absent candidates during the certificate verification exercise;
- Duly filled Application for Employment Forms (APPT I) for the selected applicants;
- Original statement of confirmation of PTE/KCSE/KCPE results from KNEC for applicants without original certificates;
- Certified copies of the following documents in the order indicated below: –
- National identification card;
- National Council of Persons with Disability (NCPWD) Card (where applicable);
- Two passport size photographs;
- KCPE Certificates;
- KCSE Certificates (include first attempt certificate if one repeated exams);
- PTE Certificate;
- Primary and Secondary Schools and college leaving certificates and
- KRA PIN certificate, Bank form and Bank plate to facilitate appointment on payroll.
- Written commitment by the applicant to serve in any county posted to, for a minimum period of five (5) years, and three (3) years in case of North Eastern region;
- Panel score sheet (Appendix I) both in soft (excel) and hard copy for the selected applicants;
NB: Where names on submitted documents differ, the applicants will be required to submit a sworn affidavit.
- Under no circumstances should the Application for Employment Form be defaced or photocopied for use.
- All enquiries arising from these guidelines should be made to the TSC County Director.
- Notwithstanding the decentralization of the function of teacher’s recruitment pursuant to Section 20 of the TSC Act, the Commission is not precluded from carrying out recruitment directly from the TSC Headquarters.