- Decathlon, Heptathlon and Cross County scrapped from the Secondary Schools’ calendar.
- Both Rugby 15’s and 7’s to be played in term one.
- Tanzania to host the Federation of East Africa Secondary Schools Sports Associations games, next year.
- Special schools’ sports to run concurrently with the other disciplines
- Ministry puts a ceiling on the maximum number of participants.
The Ministry of Education has released an updated 2019 Co-Curricular activities calendar of events. The circular gives details on the hosts for National and East Africa games. In the circular dated 27th November, 2018, sent to all Regional Coordinators of Education, County Directors of Education, Sub County Directors and Principals of tertiary institutions, Term one National games for secondary schools will be held at the Coast Region in April (5th to 14th April, 2018).
The circular written by the Ministry of Education’s Principal Secretary, Dr. Belio Kipsang, gives details of the number of participants to grace the national and East Africa games. For Term one Secondary Schools’ National games, the Ministry has given a capitation of participants at 1912. Missing from the circular, though, is the schedule for Decathlon, Heptathlon and Cross County; events which have been held alongside ball games, in term two games. Whether the omission is by design or erroneous, remains to be seen. But, drawn into next year’s School games are championships for students from special needs schools.
Here is a collated summary on the circular:
SECONDARY SCHOOLS’ GAMES CALENDAR
- Term One Games ( featuring: Basketball, Hockey, Rugby 15’s, Rugby 7’s, Swimming, Handball and Athletics) shall be held at Shimo La Tewa and Shanzu TTC, in Mombasa County of the Coast Region between 5th and 14th April, 2019 . A total of about 1,912 participants will be competing. The championship will also feature about 600 participants from the Special Secondary Schools.
- Term two Games (Featuring: Rugby 7’s, Netball, Football U16 & U19, Volleyball and Racquet games) will be held at the lake side city of Kisumu (Nyanza Region) between 26 th July to 4th August, 2019. Missing from this schedule, though, are: Decathlon, Heptathlon and Cross Country championships. A total of 1,408 participants, drawn from the eight regions, will compete during the term 2 games. About 600 participants from the Special Needs Secondary Schools will also be in competition.
2. FEDERATION OF EAST AFRICAN SECONDARY SCHOOLS’ GAMES (FEASSSA)
Tanzania will host the 18th edition of the Federation of East Africa Secondary Schools Sports Associations, FEASSA, games next year. The games that shall be staged in Mwanza will run from 15th to 24th Aigust, 2019. A total of 700 participants from Kenya will be taking part in the FEASSSA Championship, in 2019 (next year).
3. KENYA NATIONAL DRAMA FESTIVAL
The Nationals in the Kenya National Drama Festival shall be held from 3rd to 13th of April, 2018. The event will be staged in the Western Region, Kakamega County, featuring a total of 15,000 Participants.
4. KENYA NATIONAL DRAMA FESTIVAL NATIONAL WORKSHOP FOR TRAINERS.
The training is slated for 5th to 10th of December, 2018, at the Kenya School of Government in Embu County of Eastern Region. About two hundred trainers will be in attendance.
5. KENYA SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING FAIR COMPETITIONS
The National fair shall be held at the Rift Valley, Nakuru County, from 7th to 12th April, 2019. Approximately 800 participants will be show casing their prowess in Science.
6. KENYA SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING FAIR TRAINING
The training for National trainers is scheduled for 4th to 5th of January, 2019, at the Machakos University.
7. KENYA MUSIC FESTIVAL WRITERS’ WORKSHOP
The workshop was slated for the 30th November to 5th December, 2018, at the Kenya School of Government. A total of 80 participants were to be in attendance.
8. KENYA MUSIC FESTIVAL NATIONAL ADJUDICATORS AND TRAINERS WORKSHOP
- Venue: Tom Mboya Labour College, in Kisumu.
- Dates: 15th to 19th April, 2019.
- Number of Participants: 200
9. KENYA MUSIC FESTIVAL, NATIONAL LEVEL
- Venue: Kabarak University, Nakuru County; Rift Valley Region
- Dates: 5th to 17th August, 2019.
- Number of participants: 100,000
10. EAST AFRICA MUSIC DANCE AND DRAMA
- Venue: Fort Portal, Uganda
- Dates: 16th to 23rd August, 2019.
- Number of participants: 500
11. EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY STUDENTS’ ESSAY WRITING COMPETITION
- March, 2019: Distribution of topics 2019 Essay topics to schools.
- May/ June, 2019: Follow-up and publicity of Essay topics in schools.
12. PRIMARY SCHOOLS’ CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Term 1 games (featuring Athletics):
- Venue: Mumias Stadium, Kakamega County; Western Region.
- Dates: 7th to 13th April, 2019.
- Number of Participants: About 800. The Special needs primary schools will have 600 participants.
- Term 2 Games (featuring Ball Games)
- Venue: Meru School and Kaaga Girls in Eastern Region, Meru County.
- Dates: 31st July to 7th August, 2019.
- Number of participants: Approximately 1,000. The Special needs primary schools will have 1,000 participants.
13. KENYA TEACHERS TRAINING COLLEGES NATIONAL BALL GAMES CHAMPIONSHIP
- Venue: Meru TTC, Eastern Region; Meru County.
- Dates: 28th March to 5th April, 2019.
- Number of Participants: 1,300.
14. KENYA TEACHERS TRAINING COLLEGES NATIONAL PARALYMPIC AND ATHLETICS CHAMPIONSHIP:
- Venue: Eregi TTC; Western Region, Kakamega County.
- Dates: 12th to 20th May, 2019.
- Number of Participants: 800.