Machakos county boss Dr Alfred Mutual has announced major reforms to revamp the health sector at the county. See below;
“Further to the changes I announced on Wednesday, 13th March 2019, so as to enhance efficient delivery of universal, free, timely and quality health services, eliminate corruption and unethical conduct, I have directed the following further reforms with immediate effect.
- All Machakos County health staff across all ranks who have stayed in one work station for more than three (3) years be immediately reshuffled. I’m aware some have stayed in one station for close to 10 years leading to lethargy and unethical conduct.
- Persons who either worked as casuals or contracted staff in our health facilities and whose terms of engagement expired, to immediately leave the facilities.
We don’t understand why someone would insist to stay in our facilities when they are not on payroll unless they are beneficiaries or conduits for corruption.
3. A head count of all Machakos health workers be conducted per facility to weed out persons who do not show up on duty. Any connivance will be punished.
4. I will invite the relevant government agencies to team up with us to investigate theft of medicine, possible existence of ghost workers, negligence/dereliction of duty by some staff who only make technical appearances and spend most of their time in private clinics, possible sabotage of public services so as to refer patients to private clinics, etc.
- Immediate recruitment of medical specialists including surgeons, Orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons, oncologists, etc to handle specialized cases.
- A duly functioning Cancer Diagnostic Center to open at Machakos Level 5 Hospital by April 30th, 2019.
7.Streamlining and optimization of operations at the Level 5 HDU and ICU including additional beds to embark at once.
- Immediate refurbishment of Mwala, Kangundo, Kathiani & Matuu Level 4 hospitals to ensure optimal service including new operation theatre and dental services.
- Recruitment of a CEO for Machakos Level 5 & Hospital Managers for each of the Level 4s to streamline management & ensure Wananchi responsive delivery culture.
- Modernize patient hospitality, laundry, accommodation (bed) and catering services to international standards.
11. Immediate provision of call rooms, staff rest lounges, doctors’ rooms etc to improve the general work environment of health professionals.
12. All health centres to work 24 hours, 7 days a week and dispensaries to open over weekends with clear staff clock in/out roasters.