The Board of Management, BOMs, oversee a number of functions within an institution. Click here for information on Composition of Members Nominated to Secondary schools’ BOM
FUNCTIONS OF BOMs
The Boards Of management perform the following roles:
- They promote the best interests of the school and ensure that there is development within the school.
- Promote quality Education for all learners as enshrined in the Basic Education Act Number 14 of 2013
- Ensure there are adequate physical facilities within the school: Dormitories, Classrooms, Co-Curricular among other facilities.
- Advise the County Education Board, CEB, on the staffing needs of the school.
- Hear and make determination on cases of learners’ indiscipline and present reports to the County Education Boards.
- Prepare termly comprehensive reports on all areas of their mandate and present them to County education boards.
- Provide for the welfare and observe the human rights and ensure safety of the learners, teachers and support staffs within the learning institution.
- Administer and manage schools’ resources.
- Recruit, remunerate and discipline members of the non-teaching staff/ Support staff as may be required by the institution.
- Receive, collect and account for any funds meant for the institution.
- Allow reasonable use of the facilities of the institution for community, social and other lawful purposes.
- Hear and make recommendations on teachers’ discipline cases as guided by the teachers Service Commission’s Regulations.
- Participate during the recruitment of TSC teachers.
TENURE OF THE BOMs
- Once constituted, the Board Of Management’s tenure runs for a period of 3 years from the date of appointment. A member shall be eligible for re-appointment for one final term of a period not exceeding 3 years.
COMMITTEES OF BOMs
The institution’s BOM may appoint the following sub-committees:
- Human Rights and Students’ welfare Committee.
- Audit Committee
- Finance and Procurement Committee.
- Academic Standards Committee.
- Discipline, Ethics and Integrity Committee.