The Teacher Service Commission (TSC) is implementing part of the component 1 of the Secondary Education Quality Improvement Project (SEQIP) on ‘improving the quality of teaching in targeted areas”. The project development objective (PDO) is to improve student learning in secondary education and transition from primary to secondary in targeted areas. The PDO will be measured through the following performance indicators both in aggregate and separately for boys and girls: (i) average test scores in Science and Mathematics subjects at form 2 in public schools in targeted sub-counties. These terms of reference refer to subcomponent 1.2 on enhancing teacher professional development.
DESCRIPTION OF REQUESTED SERVICES
The subject expert will be required to spearhead the coordination and development of schoolbased teacher support system (SBTSS) programmes in accordance with Project Appraisal Document and in consultation with the project coordinating units; The subject expert duties and responsibilities shall entail:
i. developing course content and training manuals and ensuring their quality;
ii. preparing individual work plans;
iii. developing relevant training materials and equipment;
iv. facilitating training sessions;
v. conducting monitoring and evaluation of training activities at all levels;
vi. conducting research;
vii. integrating ICT and mainstreaming special needs education in the area of specialization; and
viii. preparing and disseminating training reports.
NB: The subject expert will be expected to be available on full time basis during the training Duration of service The above defined service will be undertaken for twelve months from the date of signing the contract
TERMS OF PARTICIPATION
The interested applicant is to submit the following documents in English language:
1. Application for the requested service (max 2 pages)
2. Current curriculum Vitae including list of relevant trainings conducted and references. The documents should be sent by mail or through email, to reach the undersigned not later than 30th April, 2019:
The commission secretary Teachers Service Commission Private Bag Nairobi-00100 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
TERMS OF SERVICE
1. Name of client is Teachers Service Commission
2. The appointment shall commence on the date of signing the contract
3. The appointment is a one year renewable contract. However; circumstances may dictate an earlier termination.
4. The title of the appointment is education technologist
5. The service will be provided during stipulated times in the year
6. The working hours are 8 per day starting 8.00 am to 5.00 p.m
7. The TSC will pay an agreed amount for the number of days the service is provided.
8. There are no collective agreements which directly affect the terms of service
CRITERIA FOR SELECTING SUBJECT EXPERTS
To qualify as a subject expert, one must satisfy the following basic requirements:
a) Bachelors degree in Education with a major in the area of specialization or its equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
b) Served as a teacher for at least 5 years;
c) Demonstrated proficiency in computer use and ability to develop digital teaching and learning content.
a. SMASE Trainer
b. Resourcefulness in terms of publication of academic papers, books and periodicals in a relevant subject area
c. Kenya National Examination Council examiner
The performance of the successful subject experts will be measured against the following standards.
1. Increased teacher mastery of subject content and pedagogical content knowledge
2. improved average student test scores in science, mathematics and English subjects at form 2 in public schools in targeted sub-counties
3. improved average pupil test scores in science, mathematics and English subjects at class 7 and 8 in public schools in targeted sub-counties